In August of 2011, the love of my life left me. I still love him. We're still roommates. This is my blog of dealing with everything that comes with the three previous statements. This is meant to be cathartic for me, and to let those other heartbroken souls out there know that they're not alone.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Here's Some Salt for Your Wounds

I don't know why I do this to myself... I manage to find songs with lyrics so relevant to my breakup that I end up sobbing in the living room until 4am. You would think that almost five and a half months later I would know better. Happy songs. Hopeful songs. Not sad songs about unrequited love and heartbreak.

But, if you're anything like me, you won't take that advice.  In that case, check out Marketa Irglova's new album.  I've loved her since I saw the film Once and started listening to the Swell Season.  I was so happy to learn that she and Glen Hansard started dating in real life, and then heartbroken when I learned that they split up, because they seemed so sweet together, and made a fantastic duet.

I feel like this album is about that relationship a lot, but maybe not.  Maybe there was another heartbreaking relationship in her life.  In any case, from the lyrics, it sounds like she was the one doing the leaving (songs like For Old Time's Sake and Crossroads suggest as much, although it and others imply there was as much sadness on her part as there likely was on her partner's).  Listening to this album is like listening to my ex's words (particularly For Old Time's Sake - that one has had me sobbing gut-wrenchingly).

Although, songs like Now You Know and Go Back feel more like they're from my side, Your Company painfully so ..... and Divine Timing is probably along the lines of what I should be feeling and telling him.

Anyway, this is sounding more like a review for the album, but... it's sickening (in that cathartic, masochistically-good way) how much it resembles what's left of my ex and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment